Re: [xmca] Activating postmodernism

From: Ricardo Japiassu (rjapias@uol.com.br)
Date: Fri Oct 14 2005 - 16:03:20 PDT

Reading Pedros’s paper I found myself thinking over that indissociability of
therapeutical-pedagogic dimensions of Education and Psychotherapy.

PORTES, Pedro R. Cultural Historical Theory and it’s Implications for
Counseling and Psychotherapy: Theory & Practice . Sevilla: ISCAR, 2005.

“because counseling and psychotherapy are essentially educational
activities, some of the work concerning the application of essential
concepts in the model [CHAT] has already been initiated (Holzman, 1999;
Miltenburg & Singer, 1999; Portes, 1993; Ratner, 1991; Ryle, 1991; Wilson &
Weinstein, 1990). Counseling, as well as psychotherapy, are specific types
of educational activity that have emerged in many parts of the world through
institutionalized structures and formal cultural practices. Counseling, as
well as psychotherapy, are specific types of educational activity that have
emerged in many parts of the world through institutionalized structures and
formal cultural practices. Counseling and therapy essentially represent
re-mediational practices that as a rule aim to socialize the client anew,
particularly when other socialization practices have failed or when
stressful events overwhelm the individual. Re-mediation can and does take
place ordinarily in both individual and group levels. ” (p.3)

It is well known that EXPERIENCE (everyday practical activity) – Winnicott,
Moreno, Boal, Newman - and INSIGHT – Freud, Lacan and post-freudian - are,
basically, the two main ways to subject’s development or transformation in
therapeutic procedures. Interesting to consider that both ways are mediated
ones (by signs, words, tools and sensuality – in the sense of bodyness).

I have never read any participant observation relatory of a social therapy
process. Only read some verbal interaction between Newman and a few
activisty-ists of ESIFSTP – published in Psycological Investigations. So,
please, Lois, correct me if I’m wrong: the focus in performative psychology
is over the engagement of people – what includes the therapist – in a
clinical Collective. A Collective that interact sometimes mediated by
theatrical activity stricto-sensu (All Stars Project) and others by
theatrical activity lato-sensu (language/discoursive/speech games).

Theatrical activity, of course, understood as counscious and intentional
communicative actions directed to an audience of eventual possible
observers.

The idea of a dialetics between who we are and who we are becoming are
great. And seems to me someway rooted in Hegelian fenomenology of Spirit.
I’d like to know better and more about the power relations in social therapy
collectives.

Ricardo Japiassu

Professor Adjunto

UNIVERSIDADE DO ESTADO DA BAHIA-UNEB

Departamento de Educação/Campus XV - Valença/Ba

Rua do Arame, s/n

Tento - Valença

45400-000 BAHIA

Brasil