Re: [xmca] ISCAR - Sevilla 2005 -- 1. Marx and dialectics/ discourse/identity and 2. ractice/activity

From: Mike Cole (lchcmike@gmail.com)
Date: Fri Oct 07 2005 - 05:45:28 PDT

Early morning in California when my body says I should be going to sleep in
madrid creates
an odd kind of reflective time, before my social group demands that I pay
for my sin of absence.

I noted examples of each of Julian's two kinds of tension lines during ISCAR
and perhaps they line up in some ways with the proclivities of those who
entered through the two prior organizations. Whatever, this kind of
discussion, grounded in examples, ought to help us to straighten matters out
for ourselves.

Some points we can probably agree upon. The adherence to "the oriiginal" for
he sake of loyalty, "come what may" seems unfortunate, but so does throwing
away the original because it ceases to be modish. There was, from my
perspective, as much mindless attribution of minlessness to uses of Yrjo's
expanded triangle as there were mindless uses. The model is not the process,
the map is not the territory, time is difficult to represent with a
triangles and a spiral of triangles only helps
a little. This much has been known by yrjo and those who work with him for
many years. The original motivation for the extended triangle can be found
on the helsinki website (or through
lchc as an associated site) and is well worth reading.

I think it would be helpful for me to have a better idea of what the "twain"
are in "never the twain will meet" bb. Identify versus activity? Using
dialectial concepts with knowledge of their origins versus,
vesus what? Social learning theory? Thinking that practice is an essential
part of the methodology of scholarly practice? My guess is that if we were
to make up a list of twains, people might actually show distributions across
pairs of terms.

One issue has been of particuar concern to me in reading manuscripts
submitted to XMCA and
other venues where people use what might be called the "ISCAR Family of
FUzzy Concepts":
Is the analysis in any sense historical? Does it describe/analyse a
person's/group's/institution's
behavior over time and does it relate transformations to the dynamics
brought about by the
temporarl dynamics of different parts of the factors identified in the
analytic analysis? If does not,
I find the resulting conclusions problematic.

Related to this is whether the analyst makes, or tries to make, a systematic
distinction between
action and activity? My impression that many do not and that their analyses
become difficult to
interpret as a result.

Both of these concern could be applied to analyses of building an airplane
wing or an activity to
promote children's development through play. methinks.
mike

I wonder if others have had difficulty, as I had following the meeting while
travelling in spain
explaining the purpose of the meeting. What does ISCAR study that one can
explain to a stranger
sitting on the neigboring seat waiting for a train?