Re: [xmca] ISCAR in Sevilla -- loose impressions

From: sgabosch@comcast.net
Date: Mon Oct 03 2005 - 17:33:52 PDT

I had a great time at the Sevilla conference. My most important goal was meet people I knew online, through xmca and elsewhere, listen to their talks, and get a sense of how they fit into the larger iscar community. Another goal was to get a sense of how iscar and its many parts fit into working class movements for social change around the world.

I was very impressed with the international character of the event – I understand 46 different countries were represented. I asked Seth Chaiklin how many were there, and he said he was told over 900. I loved Sevilla, BTW.

All in all, I met and got to know some really terrific people that are interested in the questions I am pursuing- social class, Marxism and so forth - and met lots of terrific people that are pursuing all kinds of other questions. I found the conference great fun, socially and intellectually, and look forward to the next ISCAR conference in Southern California in 2008.

- Steve