Re: [xmca] RE: Questions for ISCAR

From: Elina Lampert-Shepel (ens7@columbia.edu)
Date: Sun Sep 11 2005 - 18:54:38 PDT

Ana,
You reminded me about a brilliant El'konin's idea that by becoming
an agent of one type of activity,i.e. by internalizing the new
higher psychological function also transforms the established
relationships among the previously mastered types of activities.
For example, becoming an agent of Learning activity and
internalizing theoretical thinking will transform the imagination
internalized in the activity of play and the connection between
learning activity and activity of play. Some good old ideas...

My questions besides those that will emerge during the Congress:
1. My old question about CHAT methodology and qualitative research
methodology. What is on the crossroads? How can units of analysis
drawn from CHAT dialectical perspective be researched through
phenomenological data analysis? What are the opportunities and
challenges people find in their research? I am on final stages of
my own cross-cultural research on teachers' reflective actions in
Dewey schools that emerged from CHAT theoretical framework, but has
qualitative research design, so I am facing these questions right
now.

2. My second question about the heterogeneity of mediational means
and meaning making. What is the relationship between the
mediational means we choose and meanings we construct? My frame of
reference on that is teacher education and curriculum design, but
it would be interesting to explore any thinking on that in other
fields too... I am planning to discuss it in my paper presentation
too.

Elina

Quoting Ana Marjanovic-Shane <ana@zmajcenter.org>:

> I thought this question went to the whole list, but it ended just
> in
> Mike's box. Here it is again:
>

> My question is the interaction between different activities:
> what can be
> "taken" from one activity to another? (Old question of the
> universals)
> Also: what can be created only in a combination of several
> activities.
> This is what I mean: we all participate in more than one
> activity all
> the time. Is it possible to learn something in one activity
> and then use
> it in another? In other words: what does it mean to
> "transport" a
> way of
> acting, behaving, or thinking from one activity to another?
> And - what is a product only of participating in a certain
> combination of activities at the same time?
>
> In my workshop in Sevilla I will explore interaction between
> the
> "imaginary" and the "real" -- passing through in and out, and
> the
> relationships between the two -- and what are the outcomes of
> this
> relationship.
>
> See you in Sevilla
> Ana
>

> Mike Cole wrote:
>
> > You have a question about ch/at you might want answered
> during
> your trip??
> > A shame Helena could not come, and odd about that
> symposium. Odd
> about
> > the whole
> > setup!
> >
> > See you in Sevilla.
> > mike

Elina Lampert-Shepel
Assistant Professor
Graduate School of Education
Mercy College New Teacher Residency Program
Mercy College
66 West 35th Street
New York, NY 10001
(212) 615 3367

I have on my table a violin string. It is free. I twist one end of
it and it responds. It is free. But it is not free to do what a
violin string is supposed to do - to produce music. So I take it,
fix it in my violin and tighten it until it is taut. Only then it
is free to be a violin string.
               Sir Rabindranath Tagore.