[xmca] Three action suggestions and a request

From: Peg Griffin (Peg.Griffin@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Wed Sep 07 2005 - 09:52:00 PDT

Hi,

People displaced to my neck of the woods are now themselves doing great work
to figure out things here with the regular government and NGO institutions
that have resources they want.

So I do what Ana said was inevitable: specifically, I am moving, preparing
class, working on deadlines.

But three final notes about actions that any number of us can take from
almost anywhere:

1. everywhere that there are temporary evacuation shelters, find how to
help the people who are saying something like "no more cots, we want locks"
- that is, find how to help get people into housing where they can have a
door to close and behind it figure out what they want to go toward not just
what they want to get away from.
2. e-mail Oprah, yes Oprah Winfrey. A friend in Northern CA knows
about the empty military housing - with doors and locks -- in the bay area
that are not too isolated from the rest of the world and could be used to
house those displaced from the gulf. She also knows about Oprah's
friendship with Maria Shriver, wife of Shmarmy Arnie, the Governator. So,
she said she felt stupid but she logged onto Oprah's web site and emailed
Oprah saying she should get Maria to get on the bandwagon and bring Arnie
along. Doing stupid isn't so bad, better than what the powerful do lots of
the time, right?
3. I am forwarding the Michael Moore mailing in case some of you didn't
get it yet and it has pointers to specifics. (He doesn't mention but you
can remember about NAACP for donations; some of their funds are dedicated to
transport to places with doors and locks for those displaced by the natural
and political disaster.)

And, finally, I can spend about 8 hours a week to support those attacking
the malfeasance and criminal negligence that preceded and followed Katrina.
I need to follow advice about the best things to do on a long distance
basis. Please send me --off the list or on it -- any good analyses you find
about alternate routes and moves to this.

So, I won't add to the list any more on the Katrina concrete instance of
these issues.

Peg

  _____