Re: [xmca] Katrina and Tsunami

From: Martin Packer (packer@duq.edu)
Date: Mon Sep 05 2005 - 18:45:11 PDT

This from yesterdayıs New York Times:

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/09/04/nyregion/04income.html?th&emc=th

...The top fifth of earners in Manhattan now make 52 times what the lowest
fifth make - $365,826 compared with $7,047 - which is roughly comparable to
the income disparity in Namibia, according to the Times analysis of 2000
census data. Put another way, for every dollar made by households in the top
fifth of Manhattan earners, households in the bottom fifth made about 2
cents.

I apologize for yet another '3rd world' comparison, but even without that
the figures are striking, and deplorable.

Martin