[xmca] Re: Hurricane Katrina-LSU Student Relief Fund

From: David Daniel Preiss Contreras (davidpreiss@puc.cl)
Date: Fri Sep 02 2005 - 09:55:22 PDT

Massachusetts colleges offer spots to Gulf Coast students
September 1, 2005

BOSTON --The five-campus University of Massachusetts is offering emergency
admission to Gulf Coast students whose education has been affected by
Hurricane Katrina, President Jack. M. Wilson said Thursday.

Article Tools
Printer friendly
E-mail to a friend
Mass. RSS feed
Available RSS feeds
Most e-mailed
More:
Globe City/Region stories |
Latest local news |
Globe front page |
Boston.com
Sign up for: Globe Headlines e-mail | Breaking News Alerts State and
community colleges also have pledged to find ways to help displaced
students, as have some private colleges.

Regis College announced it will offer 25 spots to New Orleans-area college
students, and Boston College said Gulf Coast students can apply for visiting
student status for the fall semester.

U.S. Sen. Edward Kennedy has asked the 55-member Association of Independent
Colleges and Universities in Massachusetts to assemble information about
what capacity the schools have to support displaced students, said
association president Richard Doherty.

There are about 300 students from Massachusetts registered in New Orleans
colleges and at least 50 in Mississippi schools, Doherty said.

Regis said its offer is "basically tuition free, with transfers of room and
board, financial aid and course and credit issues to be worked out with the
home college or university," a Regis news release said.

"Students from New Orleans and Mississippi colleges can safely continue
their education here until the home college is on its feet again," Regis
President Mary Jane England said.

The UMass announcement did not specify information about costs to students.

The community college and state college systems also pledged to help.

© Copyright 2005 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may
not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.\