Re: [xmca] Method/Methodology

From: Mike Cole (lchcmike@gmail.com)
Date: Wed Aug 24 2005 - 08:46:51 PDT

Peter, Sasha, Steve et al--
 Since I am stuck at a car dealer waiting for brakes to be replaced and they
have
a wireless hotspot, I have a moment to write on this topic which I have
learned
a lot about in reading various comments.
 My own eclectic educational path has led me to distinguish between the
terms
method and methodology which appear to be used interchangeably by many
in the chat literature I read and some in this discussion.
 It may be that Schedrovitsky's point is compatible with what I have been
thinking.
 In my work I habitually use several ways of gathering evidence.
Observations, test
scores, products of people's activity, newspaper stories, budgets of
organizations.
Each of these "sources of evidence" I consider a method. The ensemble of
these
mehods and the ways in which I combine them (as systematically as I can
manage)
is what I think of as a methodology. Some might refer to this usages as a
synonym
for "multi-method" research strategies. The difference, I think, is the
extent to which
there is systematicity in how the variety of methods is chosen and the logic
that
connects them to each other (on the one hand) and on the theory and predmet
on the other.
 Once stabilized (if stabilized?) we arrive at what Schedrovitsky refers to
as scientific
activity. My main reservation is that I am unsure that there is ever a
really stable relationship
where the methodology is conventionalized. But maybe that is simply because
I work in
such a foggy arena of human inquiry.
mike