RE: [xmca] Method/Methodology

From: Alexander Surmava (monada@netvox.ru)
Date: Sun Aug 21 2005 - 14:49:19 PDT

Hi, Andy

Indeed, "Discourse on Method" can be roughly translated as "Methodology" but
we can do it just because that is a text of Descartes, because according his
philosophy the method of thinking or the law of thinking reflects the
causality of "mental substance" as it is. This method and this law exists
independently from laws of objective or "extensive" world or "substance".
That's why the Descartes method can be comprehended as so called
"methodology". (But still and all I think that this interpretation will be
too rough even for Descartes.)
But when we are translating the texts of Spinoza, Hegel or Marx applying the
term "methodology" will be a gross error.
As for "the methodology of medicine" we have to pay attention not only on
date, but at the subject of term as well. Even now a medicine remains more
an art of curing than theoretically well-founded discipline. And what can we
expect from medicine 1800? It's useless to examine this "methodology" with
hope to find the slightest signs of dialectic or theoretical reflection in
it. A compendium of uncoordinated, theoretically untied empirical methods -
that is this "methodology", and usually all other methodologies as well. (I
advisedly emphasize the situation. I know that the antique medicine was very
close to philosophy - good dialectical philosophy. But the medicine of XIX -
XX centuries renounce succession as heir from antique culture in favor of
utmost empiricism.)
And finally I want to underline the characteristic detail that according to
OED the first language where it was used was English - the language (the
culture) basicly connected with tradition of classical empiricism of
J.Locke.
As for mentioned by Wolff-Michael German scholars who "love to use
expressions like "methodisch-methodologisch" I can suppose that this is
connected with Neo-Kantianist tendencies.

Cheers,
Sasha