Re: [xmca] RE: meaning and sense and has anyone any opinion

From: ruqaiya hasan (Ruqaiya.Hasan@ling.mq.edu.au)
Date: Tue Aug 16 2005 - 01:01:53 PDT

Hello Michael

I really was glad to hear from you: for one thing it reassured me that there
is some real interest in seeing the connections. I agree that the discussion
has not been as 'concentrated' as the subject demanded. But perhaps that is
the nature of modern day existence -- one moves around so much. After today
I shall not be united with my notebook for at least another 14 days. So I
must try and address as best as I can at least some of the issues you have
raised. My interest too is not in debate as such but I do value discussion:
it often allows one to view problems from a different perspective.

As it happens I too have missed out on most of the discussion; in some cases
I was a silent listener to writers who are very familiar with the field and
I did not think that active participation in those debates would teach me
more than simply listening to them. Concrete psychology is one such field.
On Tools/signs I could have said something but again it would have
interrupted the thinking of colleagues who are -- or at least appear to
be -- very much more fluent. I do not see a difference between tool/sign:
from my reading of Vygotsky and reflection on what scholars have said on
vygotsky, it seems to me that the opposition is not here: sign is as much a
tool as a non-sign ie Vygotsky's "concrete tool" -- as I understood,
Vygotsky was using the funcitoning of concrete tool to bring home the
functioning of abstract tool (ie sign as tool), which also enabled him to
point out some important distinctions between concrete tools and semiotic
tools. The discussion of meaning in Vygotsky seems (to me) to be very
closely related to the specification of the semiotic, particularly,
linguistic tool in the performance of mental activities.

Yes, I agree with you that we must distinguish between 'misunderstanding'
and 'real disagreement'. I am less interested though in disputing or
establishing the 'credentials' of thinkers as belonging to this or that
discipline. My interest in Vygotrsky, Bernstein, Halliday, G H Mead, Bateson
and some other scholars is precisely because they have done their thinking
in such a way as to leave routes open for connecting with other important
issues which did not form their main focus. For example -- and you might
have to point out to me if my thinking differs from yours at this point --
Vygotsky's focus was on the development of specifically human mental
functions. He believed that semiotic modalities, especially language, plays
an important part in this process. His focus was not on the description of
language as such, but he exploreds those aspects of language which seemed to
him absolutely essential for mental development. Halliday's focus is on
language; the claim he makes about a child learning languageis that learning
a language involves learning language, learning about language and learning
through language. The last I see as resonating strongly with Vygotsky's main
hypothesis about the semiotic mediation of mental functions. Halliday does
not then begin to move into the field of psychology any more than I believe
Vygotsky moved to the field of linguistics: but through his case study of a
child, Halliday shows that discourse -- social interaction -- is where the
child finds the resources for shaping his/her language, ideas about that
language, as well as learning through language. If this is a psychological
claim then so be it. Then again there is another element of compatibility
between LSV and MAKH: language in this perspective has to be a
socio-historical phenomenon, not one which comes ready made in the folds of
one's brain and accidentally gets linked to the world of one's experience.
Thirdly, both Vygotsky and Halliday think of language as a meaning making
system, not simply as a meaning expressing system: the difference between
these positions is (speaking with oversimplification) the difference between
meaning as socio-historical semiotic creation as opposed to meaning as
naming: the latter concept refers to 'signalling' what is there present to
the senses, the former (ie socio-historical base for semiosis) is truly
symbolic, ie can only happen where there is a sign-system; in this view
language is not a set/collection of individual signs: it is a system of
signs wherein each sign has a value by virtue of its relation to other
signs. Similar openings can be found between Halliday and Bernstein and
between bernstein and Vygotsky. Bernstein certain makesw a psychological
claim in the same way, when he says that the child's consciousness is shaped
and his understanding of the social structure in which he is located becomes
defined by the acts of his own voluntary acts of discursive participation.
But his focus is on sociology: how is it that societies reproduce or change
themselves. this "psychological" claim is simply one element that has
significance in his system of explanations, the same way as Halliday's claim
about children's language learning is an element in his specification of the
nature of human language.

Where I see complementarity is in explanations in the wider domain: to me it
seems that if we wish to understand about how language works in the social
life of human beings, and how patterns of social life permeate language
function, and how language as we know it can only be spoken by a minded
being -- when we want to understand this wider canvass, we have to attend to
all three scholars: they complement each others' work. Not one of them by
himself can address the wider canvass; their theories being exotropic, allow
connections with other domains but they stay focused on either 'psychology'
or 'linguistics' or 'sociology'.

Now, because (as Bernstein said) the language of description in all these
fields is specific to that field (these are not vertical but horizontal
knowledge structures), reading these scholars is problematic: each has a
different language of description; unless one understands the theoretical
structure, one might not fully understand the significance of their terms
(theories too are systems, and theoretical concepts are like signs each
deriving its meaning by its relation to other signs). So the likelihood of
misunderstanding is pretty high. Besides our profession does not really pay
us for investing in "understanding"; it pays us only for "producing": there
is hardly enough time at one's disposal to try to understand so many
different "theoretical languages". I would suggest that there will also be
disagreements among these scholars. For example, for Bernstein and also for
Halliday 'semiotic mediation' per se could not be a 'uniform' process (as
it seems in Vygotsky): different forms of semiotic mediation will produce
different sorts of mental orientations, different habits of mind (as Lave
puts it). We talk a good deal about changing the education system, the
educator and I am sure all of us are sincere, but I cannot help thinking
that education is "for" already (at least partially) formed minds; unless we
take the variation in habitual forms of mediation into account, there is no
reason for us to feel sanguine that our so called reforms are going to do
something incredibly marvellous by way of educating. Let me put it this way:
if Vygotsky says semiotic mediation is the essence of education in the sense
that it makes human minds, then Bernstein says (not against but with
Vygotsky) every child brings a (partially) formed mind; speaking to that
mind so as to get through is the essence of semiotic mediation in good
education, and Halliday says in order to understand these complex facts and
to fashion your semiosis effectively, you must understand how and why
language works the way it does, and also how and why it gets learnt in the
first place. These three scholars together solve a much bigger puzzle than
any one of them solves by himself: in each individual case the story remains
partial.

I do not see this as a lack, a failure or something of that kind: I believe
human social existence is complex and no one can tell the whole story. This
is why we need to rethink our ideas about the nature of "optimal" theories
(hence my great admiration of exotropic theories). Also we tend to judge
theories in a way that is very much like the old "intelligence tests": lets
see what they have done; rather than this, we do need to look (with
apologies to Vygotsky) at the 'proximal zone of explanation' inherent in a
theory: the question is not what did this/that theory achieve, but rather
what CAN this/that theory achieve given the right theories to interact with.

I am sure I have not addressed all the issues you raised but I do feel a
little self-conscious writing all this -- so all I want to say in closing is
this: I am very happy to have any opinions on the thoughts I have expressed,
irrespective of whether they are in agreement or in disagreement with me.
Also if people have time, correcting what they might see as errors of
understanding on my part would be welcome.

Ruqaiya