Re: [xmca] LCA: Speaking of antinomies

From: Wolff-Michael Roth (mroth@uvic.ca)
Date: Sun Jul 24 2005 - 07:40:47 PDT

Hi Armando,
I agree the necessity for doing the kind of work you outline in your
last sentence. This is why I conceptualized, for example, science
education as an endeavor where students learn while engaging in and for
social action. E.g.,

Roth, W.-M., & Lee, S. (2004). Science education as/for participation
in the community. Science Education, 88, 263–291.
Roth, W.-M., & Lee, S. (2002). Scientific literacy as collective
praxis. Public Understanding of Science, 11, 33–56.

But this means that educators have to change. If we educate as and for
collective praxis, then it is no longer important that everyone knows
the same thing at the same time. Rather, what we need to be able to do
is engage with others who think and feel very differently, and do so
without putting them down, that is, in democratic ways so that we can
cogenerate solutions to the problems we face as a collective.

Cheers,

Michael