RE: [xmca] RE: meaning and sense and has anyone any opinion

From: Alexander Surmava (monada@netvox.ru)
Date: Sat Jul 23 2005 - 16:21:11 PDT

Hi Michael and others,
Since I'm one of those "Russian participants on this list" I'll try to
comment :-).
I fully agree that "there is only one notion of activity and one object of
activity". Moreover I think that popular distinction between "two notions of
activity, one as explanatory principle, the other as "subject" of
psychological study" which derives to LSV "methodological" reflection in
"Historical sense." is not too productive.
Here LSV fell into contradiction with Spinozian as well as Hegelian and
Marxist roots of his theoretic culture. According to all listed thinkers so
called "methodology" can't exist in abstraction from substantial
theorization.
(By the way, this point in LSV's reflection inspired the well known soviet
philosopher Georgij Schedrovitskii to put forward an idea that L.Vygotsky
wasn't a theorist of psychology but a "methodologist-for-psychologists". As
long as Georgij Schedrovitskii was very influential thinker in late 70-th
who had many disciples his ideas are still popular among many of Russian
psychologists.)
As for A.N.Leontiev's comprehension of activity he despite his strong
dialectical intention still fell into dualism as a result of his reflection.
A.N.L. tried to put the activity as a third mediatory term between subject
and object (predmet) and insists that he understands activity as sensual
practical entity. But lately in so called "Home discussion" he confessed
that after all he can't explain how this external activity can help to
surmount the abyss between two Cartesian substances. There is only one
possibility to overcome this abuse - to turn to Spinoza. But ANL. somehow
ignores this way. (It's curious, but in contrast to LSV and EVI A.Leontiev
have NEVER even mentioned the name of Spinoza in his writings.)

>More so, emotion too has to be analyzed in a dialectical way, for
it >too is produced and reproduced, at the individual|collective >dialectic.
I agree with each word in this reflection, but it seems to me that first of
all we have to understand the essence of emotions (affects) as such in
strict abstraction from any possible culture and social mediation as
emotions of animals. Otherwise we have to repeat after Descartes his idea,
that animals are biological mechanisms without any real emotions.

Here I'll put a dot because I realize that my "explanations" turns the
conversation apart.
Cheers,
Sasha