Re: [xmca] sense and meaning

From: Phil Chappell (philchappell@mac.com)
Date: Wed Jul 13 2005 - 06:53:55 PDT

Dear Ruqaiya,

It's good to have you back! As you can see, the discussions are
covering many territories. Just a quick comment - your response to my
thoughts (below) appears that you read me as somehow "defining"
sense-as-thought and meaning-as-context. If this is so, that was
unintended and a stylistic error. What I was attempting to do in that
rather rough posting was to lay the ground for readers without a SFL
background to appreciate the idea of congruency - highly relevant to
the current discussion of *language in situ*. You say "The "higher
strata" ie context semantics and lexicogrammar are held together by the
dialectic of realization". This seems a hot topic for the most recent
half-dozen posts. Unfortunately, you are the only SFL academic joining
in here, which makes for a rather wiggly path to be woven.

Phil

Begin forwarded message: