RE: [xmca] LCA - Hasan: Words, Meaning, Speech?

From: Marie Judson (mjudson@ucsd.edu)
Date: Thu Jul 07 2005 - 15:38:36 PDT

Kristen,

Studies in Sweden have shown that infants who are
exposed to signing adults from the earliest detection
of deafness learn to read at an earlier age than
average hearing children. The theory was that visual
manual symbols could be mastered at an earlier age
than oral meaningful units. Also manual signs transfer
cognitively to text more easily. I'll search for my
references on that. It was in the mid-90s that I came
across this literature.

Best,
Marie

Marie Judson