Re: [xmca] LCA-- transparency

From: Mike Cole (lchcmike@gmail.com)
Date: Sun Jul 03 2005 - 09:03:23 PDT

So, michael, to identify how the transparency issue fits into the larger
discussion of language and activity:
 In the shift of levels of activity between action and operation there is a
shift in the nature of mediation. Operations
are still mediated in the sense that there is an artifact (word, stick,
bike) incorporated, but the artifact is so well
coordinated with the overall motion of the subject that it ceases to exist
consciously and becomes, as it were,
transparent. It "reappears" in consciousness in the transition the other
way, from operation to action when there
is some discoordination. (This process is dicussed in detail for everyday
perception in the Cole and Levitin article
on my webpage noted in prior message)
 This is true both of language and all semiotic mediation.
 Is this a fair summary? I am unsure. How does it fit, for example, with R.
Engestrom's discussion of operation and genre?
mike