RE: Online video annotation software

From: Elina Lampert-Shepel (ens7@columbia.edu)
Date: Fri Jun 24 2005 - 13:53:49 PDT

Thanks for the quick responses. Eugene and Ana, quick info on axial
coding. I am using the following for my disseration data analysis.
It comes from the language of interpretive coding used by Strauss
and Corbin (1990).

Data analysis may involve three series of interpretive coding, which
may overlap:
1. Open coding, where data will be broken open to identify relevant
categories. Then these concepts will be grouped in categories. The
categories identified in pilot studies will be tested against the
new data.
2. Axial coding where categories are refined, developed and
related. The main purpose of this on this stage will be to
establish connections between categories.
3. Selective coding, where the "core category", or central category
that ties all other categories in the theory together, will be
identified and related to other categories. In this manner a
theoretical understanding of the social phenomenon is constructed
(Strauss & Corbin, 1990, pp.96-116).

Thanks,
Elina