Re: LCA: Getting started with tools, signs and activity

From: Ana Marjanovic-Shane (ana@zmajcenter.org)
Date: Thu Jun 16 2005 - 23:46:44 PDT

Steven and all,
I think that the primary difference between tools and signs is in the
different place and function of the mediational processes. Both tools
and signs change both the nature of the individual's and culture's
relationship to the environment, on the one hand, and the nature of the
relationships between individual people, between individuals and
institutions and between segments of culture to other segments of
culture. However there is a difference in WHERE the mediation occurs and
how the process is started and by what means it is carried out.
Moreover, those differences are systematic and not random.
Tools mediate the "subject" - "object" relationship. They not only
enable different and further reaching transformations of the
environment, but also enable specific conceptualizations of the
"object", making certain aspects of the "object" more "visible" than the
others. I am using the notion of an "object" in a very abstract way --
not just material environment, but also people if "objectified" -- like
in our own dialogue about the nature of human communication, or
relational objects like "electricity", "power" etc.
Semiotic signs, on the other hand, mediate the relationships between
persons, the "subject" - "subject" relationship, changing it form direct
affective response relationships (attack/defense; appeal/appeal;
rivalry; power domination; etc) to relationships ABOUT something else
that is addressed in the semiotic signs. Semiotic tools also change the
subject/object relationships, however only within the subject/subject
relationships. This is where the significance and the meaning of the
semiotic signs are forged. So, tools change the nature of the
subject-object relationship first and through that, they indirectly
affect and change social relationships (through the division of labor
and through changing the nature of social possibilities, norms and
rules. Semiotic signs, on the other hand, change the nature of social
relationships from direct emotional ones based on immediate reactions
between the subjects, to relationships which are mediated by topics and
themes far out (in place and time and the nature) of the immediate
present reality. Through mediating interpersonal (and inter
"institutional") relationships, signs give the "object" to which they
refer a different significance and meaning, and thus also mediate the
subject/object relationships. What is also important is Vygotsky's
notion that the sign mediates between "I" and "me" -- i.e. that when an
interpersonal process is internalized, then, not only signs become tools
of self direction, but because the interpersonal relations are changed
from immediate ones to the mediated ones, the nature of identity is
changed from immediate emotional, sensory-motor one (primary
psychological functions) to a person with a meaning (not just "me" but
also "I") -- in other words, self-awareness is directly born in the
process of internalization of a mediated social relationship.

I think that this distinction is relevant, because it creates a
functional explanation of different types of mediating processes and the
relationships between them.
Ana