Re: For King Beach

From: Ellice Forman (ellice+@pitt.edu)
Date: Thu Jun 02 2005 - 13:30:23 PDT

Hi Peg,
I don't have a copy of this special issue either at hand. Thanks for your
appreciative comments about the introduction--I agree with your assessment
of its value (I had a limited role in writing it). The issue is not really
about generalization/abstraction as a theme but you might want to look at
the commentary by Hoyles since she has developed her own view of this theme
which she (and Richard Noss) called situated abstraction (!). There was an
interesting session at AERA this year with Celia Hoyles and Anna Sfard and
others on the topic of abstraction in mathematics education.

I mentioned this source because it is an example of the changing paradigms
within math education--some of it directed by people from CHAT. There was a
very critical review of this special issue that shows how unhappy some
people in math ed are about this change in theory. It began as a panel
discussion at a meeting (Psychology of Math Education) which also generated
quite a bit of heat.
Ellice

--On Thursday, June 02, 2005 11:56 AM -0500 Peg Griffin
<Peg.Griffin@worldnet.att.net> wrote:r