Re: RES: Generalizing in Interaction - epilinguistic activities

From: Ana Marjanovic-Shane (ana@zmajcenter.org)
Date: Wed Jun 01 2005 - 15:35:50 PDT

Karen,
this is also very helpful. It seems to me important to clarify these
various acts with language and about language. However I am unsure about
the difference between meta-linguistic and epi-linguistic. If we define
epi-linguistic as: "actions taken in interactional processes that result
from a reflection that takes the very expressive resources as their
object" -- then what is "meta-linguistic"? - I thought that this would
be a good definition of meta-linguistic. And also, some of the examples
from the paragraph below look like something that could be called also
"para-linguistic".
The reason I am interested in clarifying all of these is not trivial: it
will help us see one one had different aspects of language/speech and on
the other, different aspects of the analysis of language and different
conceptual systems (paradigms) are used. Sometimes they are not
compatible, and sometimes they describe maybe the same phenomenon but
use different terminology and place them in slightly different connections.
What I am interested in is developing a CHAT theory of language -- so
all these different ways to look at it as an activity are very helpful.
Ana