CFP: Short Papers - Critical Computing, Aarhus, Denmark August 2005 - final call

From: Olav W. Bertelsen (olavb@daimi.au.dk)
Date: Wed May 25 2005 - 02:45:34 PDT

               FINAL CALL FOR SHORT PAPERS

   CRITICAL COMPUTING -- Between Sense and Sensibility

         The Fourth Decennial Aarhus Conference,
           Aarhus, Denmark, 21-25 August 2005

                http://www.aarhus2005.org

                 Deadline: June 12, 2005

Critical Computing short papers bring IT-research
as critical action forward by exploring novel
perspectives or issues in innovative, critical or
provocative ways.

Submissions must be complete and present original
work, possibly in progress. Full literature
searches are not expected, although relevant
citations should be included.

Short paper submissions may be up to 4 pages in
the conference publication format, and will be
peer reviewed by the program committee and
included in the conference proceedings. The
papers will be presented in a discussion-oriented
format during the conference.

ABOUT THE CONFERENCE
Continuing the tradition from the conferences in
1975, 1985 and 1995, it is the aim of the fourth
Aarhus conference to provide a forum for the
exploration and development of new perspectives
for critical computing.

As information technology reaches out from the
workplace to virtually all aspects of human life,
the scope of critical IT research expands from a
focus on designing computer support for quality
of working life to new frontiers. These frontiers
include the home, leisure time, citizen services,
public spaces as well as the workplace. We face
new challenges for technology support and new
pitfalls regarding the ways in which people sense
and form meaningful environments.

Critical Computing is a multi-disciplinary
conference covering fields like participatory
design, interaction design, CSCW, social
computing, digital art and entertainment
addressed from a variety of disciplines like
computer science, sociology, psychology,
ethnography, architecture, and aesthetics.

Topics for contributions include, but are not limited to:

* Objectives of critical computing e.g.: Is
empowerment still the objective? How is the
balance between tradition and innovation affected
in the new contexts of use?

* Design ideals e.g.: How do we understand and
use invisible computers, ambient intelligence,
etc.?

* Context e.g.: How will our environment be
affected? Aesthetically? Ergonomically?
Ethically?

* Scope and quality e.g.: How do we define design
quality when there is no work to support? How do
we assess relevance, sense and sensibility of
computing artefacts?

* Design processes e.g.: Which new kinds of
processes do we initiate to involve users in
design of computing systems and artefacts for
homes, semi-public and fully public spaces? How
do we bridge between work and other aspects of
human lives?

* Research method, e.g.: How can IT research
adapt issues of sustainability, both
environmental, social and economical?

The conference encourages presentations of
examples in terms of cases, systems, applications
and conceptual frameworks that contribute to the
understanding of the new issues and design
values. In keeping with the tradition of the
Aarhus Conferences, this conference will
encourage new types of presentations, including
such that ask for active participation from the
audience.

Short Paper co-chairs Peter G Krogh & Marianne G Petersen
Conference co-chairs: Susanne Bødker & Kim Halskov
Program co-chairs: Olav Bertelsen & Morten Kyng

Deadline: June 12 (short papers, critical demonstrations, doctoral colloquium).
Notification to authors: July 15.
Final version: August 1.

For further information and updates: http://www.aarhus2005.org.