Re: The uneducated

From: bb (xmca-whoever@comcast.net)
Date: Tue May 03 2005 - 07:50:32 PDT

Thanks Andy, the URL was very helpful!

attached mail follows:

Here is where you can read the original: http://www.marxists.org/reference/archive/hegel/works/se/abstract.htm
It is a quite young Hegel displaying a somewhat rare sense of humour!
Andh
At 09:36 PM 2/05/2005 -0700, you wrote:
Hi,
I am not sure why Hegel did not say "Rette sich wer kann," for this is both literal and good as translation. In English it would be something like "Find shelter those who can" or "Get away those who can". I think if you read the "uneducated" in the way you read Kultur, then you are too literal, at least today. I read it and meant it in my own writing as those who are not familiar with or have developed a close S-O relation through their agency. The more you get into a subject matter, the more concrete and palpable it becomes--vectors when you don't know them are abstract, out there, you can't do anything with them, they are but scratches on paper. To an advanced physics student or statistician, vectors are things that are as concrete as the veggies in my garden, you touch them, you do things with them, they respond to your moves. This changed knowledgeability with respect to vectors is indicative of a process of learning, of "education," of expanded room to maneuver.

It is dangerous to read the great works literally, we know this concerns the bible but also Hegel and others.

Michael

PS: I think it would be an interesting exercise to think through the problem of ascension from abstract to concrete in the context of mathematics where the movement appears to be from concrete to abstract . . .