Re: First LCHC Play Discussion Notes

From: Marie Judson (mjudson@sbcglobal.net)
Date: Fri Apr 15 2005 - 10:26:16 PDT

Thanks for providing such great notes, Robert!

The discussion of animals and play puts me in mind of
my 4-year-old cat, who flips a bottle cap
strategically into the center of a crumpled up
sweatshirt and then proceeds to stalk it. She makes it
more and more difficult for herself, pushing the
*mouse* more and more deeply into the folds if she
seems to be fetching it out too easily.

She'll also play a sort of "peek a boo" with it by
batting it under a door and then going to the other
side to find it and play with it some more, just in
the way cats will "play" with their prey, hooking it
and flipping it with her claw, then pouncing on it,
and so forth. In this way, she gives it life so she
can pursue it. It definitely seems like tool use and
imagination to me.

Marie

=== message truncated ===

Marie Judson