RES: Why Lurk...

From: mktostes (mktostes@uol.com.br)
Date: Wed Apr 06 2005 - 06:29:39 PDT

I, also, like to lurk and I agree with Heather. Preferring e-mail to
googling may have several reasons. Let me try:

1. you have a feeling (or the ilusion) you belong to the community

2. you have those people enter into your life through e-mail; you feel
closer to them

3. If you ever want to reply it'll be much easier.

4. If we have to go to XMCA's page to check the discussions, you may not go
(because we're always rushing). So, even if you are not participating by
posting or even if the threads do not have a direct relation to your work,
if you do not have time to read the articles suggested or even read the
discussion carefully, you can always know what is going on, something that
wouldn't happen in my case if I had to go directly to the page. Being
forgetful as I am I would even forget to go to the page. Then I would miss
great contributions, discussions, paper people kindly share and then I save
for further reference, suggestions, etc.

5. If I checked the page or googled and some day I felt I had anything to
contribute or a question to ask, I wouldn't do that.

Karin Quast

UNICAMP - Brasil

On Apr 4, 2005 1:21 PM, <mailto:hpleasa@udel.edu> hpleasa@udel.edu <