Bilingual education (was: Butterflies and life)

From: Marie Judson (mjudson@sbcglobal.net)
Date: Tue Apr 05 2005 - 09:52:11 PDT

David, as you say, I'm sure the complexities are more
than could be known by casual observation. The
atrocious accent may have been only a small part, no
part, or could have explained the entire situation.
I'm not sure partial grammar would play a part, as
these students communicate in Spanish with great ease
with each other and choose that for the language among
themselves, unlike many students who have lost their
Spanish at an early age. Also this is one of the
classrooms where Spanish among the students is
*tolerated*, for which I do laud the teacher.

What was interesting to me was that the teacher
obviously felt he was doing a good act by using
Spanish in the classroom, considering that bilingual
education is absolutely ruled out in the school and
there is a serious problem with what are called
"literacy blocks," which keep ESL students from taking
part in most educational options and opportunities at
the school. But his great action was rebuffed, which
to me, revealed multiple layers of complexity beyond
the obvious.

marie

--- David Preiss <davidpreiss@puc.cl> wrote:

> It is, indeed, a complicated issue, I think. It also
> matters what
> Spanish the teacher is talking and to whom, and
> there are lots of
> cultural variations that remain unheard for a
> untrained ear. The
> standard Spanish talked by somebody that learned it
> as a second language
> might not accomplish its intended goal as well. And,
> finally, it may
> well be the case that as Rodriguez mentioned, the
> Spanish the kids bring
> to the school is not canonical or "grammatical"
> either. Lots of
> complexities that sum up to a very interesting
> phenomenon.
>
> David Preiss

> -
> Pontificia Universidad Catolica de Chile: www.puc.cl