RE: Butterflies and life

From: David Preiss (davidpreiss@puc.cl)
Date: Tue Apr 05 2005 - 06:47:01 PDT

It is, indeed, a complicated issue, I think. It also matters what
Spanish the teacher is talking and to whom, and there are lots of
cultural variations that remain unheard for a untrained ear. The
standard Spanish talked by somebody that learned it as a second language
might not accomplish its intended goal as well. And, finally, it may
well be the case that as Rodriguez mentioned, the Spanish the kids bring
to the school is not canonical or "grammatical" either. Lots of
complexities that sum up to a very interesting phenomenon.

David Preiss
-
Pontificia Universidad Catolica de Chile: www.puc.cl
PACE Center at Yale University: www.yale.edu/pace