Re: Butterflies and life

From: Kevin Rocap (Kevin.Rocap@liu.edu)
Date: Mon Apr 04 2005 - 14:36:40 PDT

Dear Dorie, David, et al,

Actually one of the striking things about Rodriguez's book, imho, is
that it is a well-wrought chronicle of one who, though extremely
articulate, ultimately seems to reflect a near perfect form of
internalized oppression. While he recounts painful experiences of
having his race/ethnicity/cultural values ripped apart or ripped away,
rather than condemn the oppressor he, instead, chooses to embrace the
notion that assimilation at the expense of family and cultural ties is
"the way" and now reflects that viewpoint in his politics being often
anti-bilingual education or anti-affirmative action, etc.

Rather than critique the oppression itself; he seems to embrace it and
lend his political voice to its work.

In Peace,
K.