Re: Butterflies and life

From: Mike Cole (lchcmike@gmail.com)
Date: Mon Apr 04 2005 - 13:47:45 PDT

*Mary opined that "*The kinds of loss produced by "development" produces an
interesting line of inquiry."

I clearly agree. It is the other side of Yrjo's notion of development as
breaking away. And it reminds me of the following, the tune and words of
which re-occur to me often on plane flights.

Mary's issue is arrived at in the last two stanzas.
mike*

Both Sides Now**
*(JONI MITCHELL)

*Rows and flows of angel hair
And ice cream castles in the air
And feather canyons everywhere
I've looked at clouds that way*

*But now they only block the sun
They rain and they snow on everyone
So many things I would have done
But clouds got in my way*

*I've looked at clouds from both sides now
From up and down, and still somehow
It's cloud illusions I recall
I really don't know clouds at all*

*Moons and Junes and Ferris wheels
The dizzy dancing way that you feel
As every fairy tale comes real
I've looked at love that way*

*But now it's just another show
And you leave 'em laughing when you go
And if you care, don't let them know
Don't give yourself away*

*I've looked at love from both sides now
From give and take, and still somehow
It's love's illusions I recall
I really don't know love
Really don't know love at all*

*Tears and fears and feeling proud
To say "I love you" right out loud
Dreams and schemes and circus crowds
I've looked at life that way*

*Oh but now old friends they're acting strange
And they shake their heads
And they tell me that I've changed
Well something's lost but something's gained
In living every day*

*I've looked at life from both sides now
From win and lose and still somehow
It's life's illusions I recall
I really don't know life at all