RE: microanalysis of teaching/learning

From: Ellice Forman (ellice+@pitt.edu)
Date: Tue Mar 08 2005 - 11:09:30 PST

Here are some more references from Beth Warren and Ann Rosebery and their
colleagues. They also collaborate with teachers:

Conant, F. R., Rosebery, A., Warren, B., & Hudicourt-Barnes, J. (2001). The
sound of drums. In E. McIntyre, A. Rosebery & N. Gonzalez (Eds.), Classroom
diversity: Connecting curriculum to students' lives (pp. 51-61).
Portsmouth, NH: Heinemann.
McIntyre, E., Rosebery, A., & Gonzalez, N. (Eds.). (2001). Classroom
diversity: Connecting curriculum to students' lives. Portsmouth, NH:
Heinemann.
Rosebery, A. S., & Puttick, G. M. (1998). Teacher professional development
as situated sense-making: A case study in science education. Science
Education, 82, 649-677.
Rosebery, A. S., Warren, B., & Conant, F. R. (1992). Appropriating
scientific discourse: Findings from language minority classrooms. The
Journal of the Learning Sciences, 2(1), 61-94.
Warren, B., & Rosebery, A. S. (1993). Equity in the future tense:
Redefining relationships among teachers, students, and science in
linguistic minority classrooms. In W. Secada, E. Fennema & L. Byrd (Eds.),
New directions in equity for mathematics education. New York: Cambridge
University Press.
Warren, B., & Rosebery, A. S. (1996). "This question is just too, too
easy!": Students' perspectives on accountability in science. In L. Schauble
& R. Glaser (Eds.), Innovations in learning new environments for education
(pp. 97-125). Mahwah, NJ: Lawrence Erlbaum Associates.
Warren, B., Rosebery, A. S., & Conant, F. R. (1991). Discourse and social
practices: Learning science in language minority classrooms. Biliteracy:
Theory and Practice.

--On Tuesday, March 08, 2005 11:26 AM -0600 David H Kirshner
<dkirsh@lsu.edu> wrote:r

> My thanks to Mike Cole, Carol Lee, Phil Chappell, Peter Smagorinsky, Jay
> Lemke, Ellice Forman, Ruth Berry, and David Preiss for replies to my
> request for "studies in which researchers/theorists have collaborated with
> teachers to explicate complex teaching and learning processes in classroom
> settings, that simultaneously serve to develop and inspire visions of
> teaching excellence." Some of these works are known to me, others not.
> All are appreciated.
>
> As promised, here is a listing of the suggestions.
>
> David Kirshner
>

> Nice to know you are around, David.
> Seems like you couldn't pass up bud mehan's book, Learning Lessons.
> Derek Edwards book of a decade or more ago? Must be some Gordon Wells
> around.
> Mike Cole
> _____________________________
>

> Lee, C.D. (2004). Double Voiced Discourse: African American Vernacular
> English as Resource in Cultural Modeling classrooms In Arnetha Ball and
> Sarah W. Freedman (Editors) New Literacies for New Times: Bakhtinian
> Perspectives on Language, Literacy, and Learning for the 21st Century. NY:
> Cambridge University Press.
>
> Lee, C.D., Rosenfeld, E., Mendenhall, R., Rivers, A. & Tynes, B. (2003).
> Cultural Modeling as a Frame for Narrative Analysis. In C. Dauite and C.
> Lightfoot (Eds). Narrative Analysis:Studying the Development of
> Individuals in Society. Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage Publications.
>
> Lee, C.D. & Majors, Y. (2003) Heading Up the Street: Localized
> Opportunities for Shared Constructions of Knowledge. Pedagogy, Culture and
> Society, 11(1)49-68).
>
> Lee, C.D. (2003). Cultural Modeling: CHAT as a Lens for Understanding
> Instructional Discourse Based on African American English Discourse
> Patterns. In V. Ageyev, B. Gindis, A. Kozulin, S. Miller (Editors)
> Vygotsky and the Culture of Education: Sociocultural Theory and Practice
> in the 21st Century. NY: Cambridge University Press.
>
> Lee, C.D. (2001). Is October Brown Chinese? A Cultural Modeling Activity
> System for Underachieving Students. American Educational Research
> Journal, 38(1), 97-142.
>
> Lee, C.D. Signifying in the Zone of Proximal Development. (2000). In
> Carol D. Lee and Peter Smagorinsky (Editors). Vygotskian Perspectives on
> Literacy Research. NY: Cambridge University Press.
>
> Lee, C.D. (1995). A Culturally Based Cognitive Apprenticeship: Teaching
> African American High School Students Skills in Literary Interpretation.
> Reading Research Quarterly, 30(4), 608-631.
>
> Lee, C.D. (1995). Signifying as a Scaffold for Literary Interpretation.
> Journal of Black Psychology, 21(4), 357-381.
>
> Lee, C.D. (1993). Signifying as a Scaffold for Literary Interpretation:
> The Pedagogical Implications of an African American Discourse Genre.
> Urbana, IL: National Council of Teachers of English. [This book is
> published as part of the Research Report Series of NCTE. Only
> [...]

Ellice Ann Forman
Department of Instruction and Learning
University of Pittsburgh
5M38 WWPH