Re: dialogical self

From: Mike Cole (lchcmike@gmail.com)
Date: Sat Feb 19 2005 - 10:41:12 PST

Thank you for expanding our horizons by checking into the references
in the B&R article, Ini. I am still somewhat unclear about the idea of
 "inclusive separation" which I encountered in the debate between
Rogoff and Valsiner in Human Development a while
back. This passage I found particularly helpful with its pointers
toward next places to look:

The I-positions are continuously created within the sociocultural
constraints of the situation. The description of I-positions is in
that case just a
tool of the observer. The I-positions are not different parts that organize and
reorganize inside the head. And that just what they according to B&R –
following Valsiner - are: "…. that some forms of negotiations with the different
parts of the self are less demanding and lead us forward toward a more 'stable'
development, although other forms of negotiations are more paralyzing, severe
and show 'instability'." (p 238) So B&R might want to present a really
dynamic conception of identity, but I think Valsiner's intrapsychological
organization and reorganization still forms the background..

Seems like we need to check on some key Valsiner texts. Not that Jaan
also speaks of "personal culture" as that part of the cultural tool
kit (is a tool kit also a process? hmmm)
that has been internalized by the individual, or is known to the
individual, etc. Part of the
inclusive separation issue I believe.
mike