Re: LSV-& Dialogical Self

From: Phil Chappell (philchappell@mac.com)
Date: Sun Feb 13 2005 - 03:53:52 PST

Mike and Ini and the silent voices of All,

Coincidentally I was reading Davydov's essay on his 8 unsolved problems
of activity theory (from a book you didn't edit, Mike ;-) Two questions
he poses on the problem of collective and individual activity are:

1. What are the particular characteristics of the individual subject,
and in what what ways does it differ from personality?
2. What can be defined as the personal level of realizing individual
activity?

Going out on a limb here, I thought that Bhatia and Ram's application
of ventriloquation goes some way to answer these questions. Davydov
asks, "In what sense does the collective subject exist outside the
individuals who form a group?" I would tentatively answer: In the sense
of the three voices of the mind, evoking Jay Lemke's ecosocial systems
approach to sociocultural contexts. This paper has been for me a very
real reminder of the usefulness of maintaining a solid theoretical
basis.x

Just a tad of a thought, and I wish some others would add a tad!

Phil

Davydov's essay: Davydov, V.V. (1999) The content and unsolved problems
of activity theory, in Engestrom, Y, Miettinen, R and Punamaki, R-L
"Perspectives on Activity Theory" Cambridge University Press