Re: Self-Determination theory versus SCT and AT

From: Lara Beaty (lbeaty@gc.cuny.edu)
Date: Tue Feb 08 2005 - 11:59:20 PST

Jim,

I have a very inclusive notion of "context." It includes histories,
ideologies, material environments, and activities. Where and how
students participate in an online course is important: If the computer
is in their own home with affordances for privacy and time, it is very
different than if a person must share a computer, work with regular
interruptions, or use the computer at work or at a library. All of
these locations will change the activity as well as its meaning. In
terms of "why" (a word I usually try to avoid), I was thinking
particularly about whether the course is necessary for a job, is being
paid for by a job, or is necessary for a certificate or degree. The
basic question for me is to see how a student's activity is multiply
embedded.

In some senses it does relate to the article for discussion (which I
haven't finished yet). I see identity and self as being about
relationships. A student who experiences being part of the class will
have a very different experience than a student who does not. I'm still
working it out, but looking at the connections between people,
activities, places, artifacts, and times provides a complex system of
meanings but one set in the concrete.

I hope that makes sense.

Lara