RE: In Remembrance of Liberty and Justice for All

From: David Preiss (davidpreiss@puc.cl)
Date: Thu Jan 27 2005 - 10:27:03 PST

I thing that there is an additional problem to what Jay mentioned, and
it has to do with the fact that the decisions taken by the American
government, now with the endorsement of a majority of its citizens,
affect all of us globally, including the mismanagement of its deficit,
which is going to cause economic crisis in some forgotten countries who
live from primary exports before impacting the USA seriously; its lack
of support to international treaties, particularly environmental ones,
so now we are paying in the South of Chile with skin cancer the lack of
willingness of the USA government to reduce its emissions; and even the
decision to invade other countries (Afganistan first, Irak after and
soon Iran, I guess...)

I must confess that, when I was living up there I got a bit impressed by
the sensitivity, at least as it appeared in their discurse, the students
had to social issues within the USA and their total lack of information
about global issues, such as the role played by the USA in supporting
dictatorships everywhere, including my own country. Indeed, I assume
they did not have any idea who Pinochet was and how the CIA funded and
supported his state terror organizations until it hit in the heart of
Washington with the killing of Orlando Letelier.

There are many out of the USA, whom are also tired, Jay, not ashamed but
tired. And we empathize with you and with most of those of you that felt
that Kerry's calls to a new relation with the world was important
(although may be in a different way than the one endorsed by the
democratic party!). But most of all, we need to have people like all of
you, as some sort of a real global awareness within the American
political system, so our human rights and the rights of everybody to
live in safety and in a clean environment everywhere are respected.

David

David Preiss
-
Pontificia Universidad Catolica de Chile: www.puc.cl