RE: Spinoza, Buridan, & LSV -- RE: Scaffolding

From: Michael Glassman (MGlassman@hec.ohio-state.edu)
Date: Mon Jan 24 2005 - 08:10:41 PST

Tony,

I still have a hard time finding an important relationship between Spinoza and Vygotsky, or Spinoza and Illyenkov for that matter, other than Spinoza being the forerunner of materialism. My current feeling is that Spinoza's pantheism precludes a good deal of Vygotsky's thinking about development.

As far as will, it seems to me that there is a relationship between will and material necessity (at least as far as this particular example goes). That material necessity is determined by logic. That Buridan's Ass can't understand this logic because it lacks the combination of free will and determination through necessity that humans have. Spinoza made the same materialist argument and I believe he even used the example of Buridan's Ass. Vygotsky may have gotten it there, but I think a lot of materialists use it.

Michael