Re: Scaffolding

From: Mike Cole (lchcmike@gmail.com)
Date: Sun Jan 23 2005 - 06:44:37 PST

I suppose one could interpret the idea of a Languages Acquistion Support System
in terms of the scaffolding metaphor, Nate. I always saw it as a
Bruner cleverism to
make clear his counterpositiong to Chomsky's Language Acquisition
Device, emphasizing the equal importance of the socio-cultural
environment.

If we want to preserve social origins of human mental functions a la
Vygotsky, what in the substance of Bruner's argument (Laid out more
fully in his earlier
book, *Child's Talk*) would you propose?
mike