RE: infant studies, semiotics

From: Sophie Alcock (Sophie.Alcock@vuw.ac.nz)
Date: Mon Jan 17 2005 - 14:40:09 PST

Hi, Well it's not Clay, or Singer, but C.Trevarthen in the Uk who's written some interesting stuff on communication (and Intersubjectivity) musicality and infants. Getting back to the idea mentioned by Dianne about rhythm as being basic ... Trevarthen proposes an intrinsic motive pulse (IMP) that comprises:
 rhythmic time sense (beat, phrases, syllables)
sensitivity for variations in intensity, pitch, timbre...,
a perception of the narrative in "music"- in the emotional tone of the melody -

I wondered what folk think of this biological emphasis? The link to literacy is communication, but the emphasis is wider than words. The reference I have is in Trevarthen, C. (2002). Origins of musical identity: Evidence from infancy for musical social awareness. In R. MacDonald, D. Hargreaves and D. Miell (Eds), Musical Identities Oxford University press.
cheers
Sophie