RE: signs/symbols etc

From: Cunningham, Donald J. (cunningh@indiana.edu)
Date: Mon Jan 10 2005 - 06:53:54 PST

Mike and others

There are SO MANY different analyses of sign, symbol et al. that I think
the best strategy is to find one you are comfortable with and then apply
it consistently. I was drawn to semiotics because of my great
dissatisfaction with the term "stimulus", which psychologists of my
generation used promiscuously. At the time I was studying "text"
comprehension and was troubled that the text itself seemed to be treated
like a fixed effect in an ANOVA. But that's a story for another time.

Umberto Eco once defined a sign as anything that can be used to tell a
lie. If a sign _stands for_ something else, its object, in some way, it
is not the object. It does not replace the object. The sign is only
some _aspect_ of the object. It is this incompleteness that is the
source of both the ambiguity of the sign process and its richness. It is
this _spread_ of meaning/interpretation/semiosis that creates the rich
life-worlds (Umwelten) that we experience. If a Peircean analysis of
signs helps you develop your understanding of that process, great. If
not, there are many alternatives.

One tool (artifact?) that might be helpful, especially with respect to
the issues that Peg raised, consider Jakobsen's communication model. It
starts with the basic model of communication.

Context

Message

Addresser--------------------------------------> Addressee

Contact

Code

The addresser sends a message to the addressee in some context via a
channel of contact using some code they have in common. Any particular
communication often emphasizes one or another of these functions:

Referential

Poetic

Emotive--------------------------------------> conative

Phatic

Metalingual

So a communication focused on the addresser ("I'm not feeling well
today") has a different orientation than one focused on the addressee
("Clean your room!"). Of course the model is not limited to verbal
communication. Clothing can be as poetic as words!

The idea of sign runs throughout theses functions, not just in the
metalingual focus on code. How do these functions become highlighted?
Andy's use of icon, index and symbol may map out nicely here as an
example.

Duty calls..........djc

Don Cunningham

Indiana University