RE: peirce and artifacts; back to Uslucan

From: Michael Glassman (MGlassman@hec.ohio-state.edu)
Date: Mon Dec 27 2004 - 08:00:10 PST

Bill,

I think what Pierce might say is that the key word in what you describe is experimental. You are not just making observations and explaining what those observations mean, you are consciously aware that the problem solving abilities that you have are not sufficient to deal with new problems and you are actively searching for new answers to those problems. You do this because the system you are working within is ever changing, and you understand that it is ever changing (to say you are working within the parameters of thirdness seems trite at this point - but I just said it, so there).

In the true experimental design you recognize that the tools you have now will not increase in value - they are tools for a very specific set of problems. If new problems arise you will at the very least need to recalibrate those tools, and possibly change them completely. If physicists weren't working within this framework how would the development of relativity, and quantum physics, and QED have even been possible - the old tools should have been enough.

Most of the human condition seems to work within the condition of secondness, especially the human sciences. We often believe we are actually discovering the way in which humans interact, creating tools for a better humankind, and that these tools are transferable between problems. In other words we not only believe in magic bullets to make us better math and science students, to make us more moral, to make us better readers, but we actively search for them and promote them as elixirs of humanity. There are some who might say this is a dangerous situation where power is intermingled with solutions, where expertise trumps experimentation, where we keep applying what we already know over and over again to new problems because what we already know must be right.

Michael