RE: Intentionality and Semiotics

From: Cunningham, Donald J. (cunningh@indiana.edu)
Date: Sun Dec 19 2004 - 12:32:48 PST

OK, thanks for the paper. Looks like some good holiday reading!

I asked because your previous subject line said something about signs
without objects. There are no signs without objects - a sign has three
irreducible elements of sign, object and interpretant. Just as
Brentano's theorem posits that all mental events have content (i.e.
thoughts are about something), signs refer to something in some way or
another......djc