Re: FW: Vygotsky/tool/sign/symbol

Yes, Don, in next week's seminar with Santiago, the students are
reading the chapter on
"culture in the middle" from cultural psych and the question of the
duality of artifacts and the nature of that duality with respect to
sign/symbol distinctions is certainly relevant. But right now I am
asking questions about the tool-sign-symbol issue especially vis a vis
Vygotsky and his contemporaries.

For example, we know Vygotsky read Werner and I am pretty sure
Cassirer, but probably not Peirce. As Joe points out some make symbol
a subset of sign and some vice versa. Do you have something that maps
our Saussure/Peirce/...? vis a vis these issues. I am guessing that
Arne wrote about this at an earlier time on xlchc/xmca but have only
thought to look there thanks to your note.
mike