Re: distribution and exchange

I agree that Bruce and Michael have raised a potentially important issue. Does
Michael have the reference in Marx to the discussion of distribution, exchange
and production fields? It would be interesting for some of us to read and
analyse.

The confusion between the terms exchange and distribution is somewhat
understandable, at least for English. Distribution connotes exchange since in
practice it often involves reciprocity, if not materially, then in the form of
past or future obligation. And exchange denotes reciprocity. At the same time I
wonder whether this confusion points to the unity of these mediating constructs.
Of course at a very abstract level the constructs are united as examples of
mediation, and as Yrjö and others point out the constructs are systemic in the
sense that you cannot isolate one from another in any appropriate application
of activity systems theory. But I am thinking more of a psychological unity
along the lines of "technique", or even "praxis", that is learned and applied
to mediate the three relations. Further, it seems to me that an interesting
figurative outcome of such an analysis would be that the activity system
triangles would be more accurately represented as a tetrahedron, with the field
of consumption at the base, the fields of production, exchange, and distribution
on the side facets, and the mediating constructs of tools, roles, and division
of labor together at the peak. Such a figurative representation could be
helpful for further theorizing.

--Robert Bracewell