Re: CHAT and virtual communities...

Seems like we need to do some reading, Sasha. For starters lets see if
we can get
a review.

I am among those who get very uncomfortable about ideas like turning a theory
into a methodological tool. Paraphrasing LSV, each new theory implies a new
methodology (note,  methodOLOGY, not method). The triad theory, data, and
methodology ought in principle to be aspects of a single process of inquiry.

An issue raised by a lot of the uses of Yrjo's ideas that I find very troubling
is the frequent slippage between the use of his expanded triangle to represent
actions and activities as if it made no difference. As if goal=motive. etc.

Which reminds me of an earlier comment by Judy that was part of a
discussion that
occurred while I was away about Yrjo's representation of activity
being used like
a syllogism. It is not, of course. And when so used it is being abused.

Anyone who wonders how one gets from a triangle to that expanded triangle really
needds to go back and read the chapter from *Learning by Expanding*
(available from
your local internet interlocutor) where he provides the rationale for
that expansion....
which is not unrelated to the issue of theories and methodologies,
etc. In particular,
it helps make clear the relationship between the methodOLOGY of the
developmental
work lab in Helsinki and the method of dual stimulation.

So much to read! Which rreminds me, have you voted for your favorite MCA article
for discussion recently?
mike