CHAT and virtual communities...

Hi,

In the midst of these two interesting discussions on math education and
electoral maps I just want to "amend" my post on CHAT and virtual
communities... Jim Rogers just helped me to realize that when Mike asked
about chat approaches to virtual communities he was not referring to the
online tool but to CHAT as in Cultural Historical Activity Theory...   I
wasn't familiar with the acronym... I guess that's part of my legitimate
peripheral participation  :-)  on this list...  To be honest I was
surprised to see a question so focused on a tech tool on this list...

Any way, there are a couple of chapters on Sasha's edited book that use
activity theory, especially based on Engestrom to examine virtual
communities. I assume this is close enough to CHAT...

Chapter 3 -->.  Sasha Barab, James MaKinster (Hobart & William Smith
Colleges), & Rebecca Scheckler (Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State
University). Designing System Dualities: Building Online Community.

Chapter 5 --> Mark Schlager and Judi Fusco (SRI International). Online
Teacher Communities: Technology Snake-Oil or Powerful Catalysts for
Professional Development?

Chapter 8 --> Jim Hewitt (University of Toronto). An Exploration of
Community in a Knowledge Forum Classroom: An Activity System Analysis.

Chapter 14 --> James Gray and Deborah Tatar (SRI International).
Sociocultural Analysis Of Online Professional Development: A Case Study
Of Personal, Interpersonal, And Community Aspects.

Rodrigo
Rodrigo del Valle - rdelvall@indiana.edu
IST Doctoral Student
Center for Research on Learning and Technology
LTTS Staff http://ltts.indiana.edu
School of Education
Indiana University
www.iub.edu