RE: approaches to content

I neglected to say that the work we are doing in math/science/technology is
in grades
6-12, and that we concentrate on pre-algebra, algebra and courses that are
often thought of as 'remedial'.

It seems, from Peg's description of measurement in preschool math, that we
share the idea that giving students access to rich, complex math concepts
early is important to their conceptual development of powerful ideas. For
example, instead of starting with linear functions, we tend to work with
students on activities that involve varying quantities of amount and rate,
so that when they do encounter the 'degenerate' case of a linear
relationship, it is seen as a simpler case rather than a different
phenomenon. Students don't encounter linear relationships nearly as often as
they do more complex ones in life, so it is much easier to draw on their
prior knowledge in supporting their thinking about and mathematizing
relationships when we start with more complexity. I think the way Peg (and
her co-author) are thinking about measurement has similar notions and power.