Re: education, technology & chat (The Mathematics of it)

Very interesting discussion, Mike, Peg, Bill, and all!

Following up Mike's comment, I would be interested to hear your opinions of how, when technology (say, software), is used, one incorporates the curriculum *content*
in a chat-like way.

In particular, in a given content area, might there not be software that enables the children's assimilation of the "germ cell" of the subject? If so, what would this look like
in different school subjects?

In our use of Davydov's math curriculum, we have played with creating software within which the children assimilate the action of measuring/constructing a quantity (area, length, etc.) using a unit, where the action of measuring/constructing is
mediated by one of Davydov's "models" (a diagram or formula).

In the case of written language acquisition, I suppose one might create software based on Elkonin's boxes and other diagrammatic supports for the concepts of
word, phoneme, syllable, etc.

What should the content of the technology/software be like, in a given subject area, to help the children "get" the germ cell so they can ascend from the abstract to the concrete?

Peter

I hope people will pay attention to Peg's emphasis on conceptual
content of the domain in question when talking about obuchenia
(teaching/learning). I and many others all too easily overlook the
centrality of content so key to Devydov's
thinking, in my case, in part, because 5th Dimensions are
chock a block with all different kinds of content, partly because my
grad training was 100% process.

With respect to another comment: yes, I believe technology is
a very broad term, the sub-parts of which are very interesting
to consider, but a term which is badly underextended in discussions of
technology and human affairs.

Work is progressing on fortifying and improving xmca, glad to see that
there is life despite the spam.
mike

On Wed, 10 Nov 2004 10:47:40 -0600, Peg Griffin