Re: general, particular Holzkamp, Engeström

From: Oudeyis (victor@kfar-hanassi.org.il)
Date: Wed Oct 13 2004 - 21:02:17 PDT

Michael,
Right on both points. Marx did argue that phylogenetically labour as self
production or reproduction, precedes practice and theory. This is basic to
his critique of Hegelian idealism. Hegel regards theory, the exercise of
intellect, as an inherent property of man and he argues that there is
neither the need nor the possibility for determining the origins of
intellect. This is what makes him an idealist.

For Marx human labour, reflective self-reproduction - is rational activity!
That's the essential "secret" of Marxian materialism. Rationality grows out
of social labour as men coordinate ever more complex collective activities
for self-perpetuation. Self-reflective labour, practice, emerges out of
the critical importance of collective labour for the individual human's
effective self-reproduction. As Ilyenkov puts it, it is the need for
individuals to review and regulate their own activities as they coordinate
them with others in the productive process that serves as the root of
consciousness and will, the essential Psycho-social ingredients of practice.
The distinction then is not between labour and rationality, but between
practice and theory. This distinction is not inherent to labour but a
development of relations to production, in short, of emergent division of
labour between production and planning and organizing production.

R'grds,
Victor