Re: general, particular Holzkamp, Engeström

From: Wolff-Michael Roth (mroth@uvic.ca)
Date: Wed Oct 13 2004 - 14:30:27 PDT

Jay,
I think that grades accumulate in the gpa, which buys you access to the
ivy league schools, which further accumulates as capital, as well as in
a degree, which is converted into positions and income and financial
capital. Brownie points, too, are part of this economy, and can be
converted into other forms of capital.
        Grades are like prayers... whether or not they get you into heaven is
something that you cannot know today... Also, as Penny Eckert suggested
(1989), for some they constitute sufficient motivation, not for others.
Much like earning a wage does not change the motivation of a
laborer.... But this is because students are already external to the
determination of the activity in which they participate...
Michael