RE: an article on the creationist's plea "teach the controversy"

From: Steve Gabosch (bebop101@comcast.net)
Date: Tue Oct 12 2004 - 13:51:27 PDT

Hi Don,

I read the interesting Bruno Latour article you suggested. Here are a
couple thoughts.

In this short article, Latour expresses dismay that some are now using
"science studies" -type critiques of Western science to promote various
causes that he does not support. You quote one, the use of a
scientific-sounding presentation of "scientific uncertainty" to create an
"artificially maintained scientific controversy" about global warming. He
also discusses the way conspiracy theories - alongside various social
theories proposed by critical thinkers - rely on similar "weapons of social
critique" that point to "powerful agents hidden in the dark" that are
unseen by people who "live in the thralls of a complete illusion of their
own motives." Latour is worried about the similarity in structure of the
arguments used to draw very different kinds of conclusions. He wonders
(somewhat rhetorically, I am sure) whether his efforts in science studies -
which has included a strong emphasis on science's "lack of scientific
certainty" - has been a mistake. The example of the way ID proponents use
this kind of argumentation is a very good example of what Latour is saying.

I also took a casual look at the Plato dialogue Gorgias that appeared in
the Latour article title Jay mentioned. Callicles makes a jab at Socrates
that parallels a point Latour makes (in the article you suggest.) Latour
asks "Should I reassure myself by simply saying that bad guys can use any
weapon at hand, naturalized facts when it suits them and social
construction when it suits them?"

In the Plate dialogue Gorgias, Callicles has been listening to Socrates
dialogue with Gorgias and then Polus for a while, and then chimes in with
the question "Tell me, Socrates, are you serious now or jesting?" and
proceeds to offer a critique of how Socrates argues.

Callicles says (I'm on page 266 of the Edith Hamilton/Huntington Cairns
(ed) 1961 Bollingen Foundation edition):

"For, Socrates, though you claim to pursue the truth, you actually drag us
into these tiresome popular fallacies, looking to what is fine and noble,
not by nature, but by convention. Now, for the most part, the two, nature
and convention, are antagonistic to each other. And so, if a man is
ashamed and dares not say what he thinks, he is compelled to contradict
himself. And you have discovered this clever trick and do not play fair in
your arguments, for if a man speaks on the basis of convention, you slyly
question him on the basis of nature, but if he follows nature, you follow
convention."

Callicles gives us something to think about in how we all - "bad" guys and
good guys - formulate our arguments. This is one of the big points I think
Jay was making.

Best,
- Steve