RE: michal roth's intro; four contradictions and children's play

From: White, Phillip (Phillip.White@cudenver.edu)
Date: Thu Sep 30 2004 - 08:25:55 PDT

________________________________

From: Lara Beaty [mailto:lbeaty@gc.cuny.edu]

With this in mind, what strikes me about Ya-Meer is that the conflict
was as much about Charles as Cristobal.

    oh, yes! i was struck by that. poor Charles! his identity was being actively co-constructed by others without his even being present. (i also wondered here about the ethics of Cristobal even engaging in that conversation with Ya-Meer.)

     i don't understand, Mike, your reference to "buy-in" - i'll go back to Roth's text.

     and after having discussed the Roth article with a group of doctoral students, we concluded with a wish that the article were about twice it's length - because while we agreed with the epistemology, identity emerging out of activity, we weren't convinced that the data presented adequately supported the case study.

phillip