FW: G Bateson E-Update Sep 2004

From: Cunningham, Donald J. (cunningh@indiana.edu)
Date: Thu Sep 09 2004 - 11:14:43 PDT

For the Bateson fans on xmca......djc

Don Cunningham

Indiana University

  _____

From: MC Bateson [mailto:mcb2004@attglobal.net]
Sent: Thursday, September 09, 2004 8:51 AM
To: MC Bateson
Subject: G Bateson E-Update Sep 2004

September has arrived, and so it is time to send another update

on Gregory Bateson related activities.

As in the past, this e-mail is essentially limited to new information,

with full details on the Bateson page at
http://www.interculturalstudies.org
<http://www.interculturalstudies.org/> .

It does not repeat information already available on the website or

mentioned in previous e-mails.

If you know of any other activities, please let us know via e-mail

at mcb2004@attglobal.net with BATESON04 in the subject line.

----------------

HELP WANTED

We are looking for an intact copy of the 60-minute film, Interaction and

Communication in Three Families, made by Gregory Bateson with

Weldon Kees in the 1950s. The copies held by UCSC are missing the

sound track, including Bateson's commentary. If you know of anyone

who might have a copy with audio, in any film or video format, please

contact us immediately at mcb2004@attglobal.net. As it stands, the
record

of Bateson's work is incomplete, and we would like to be able to show

the film in November, so we seek your help urgently.

Equally serious but less pressing is the need for conservation work on
Bateson's raw

footage from Bali and New Guinea in the 1930s, now in the Library of
Congress,

and postwar footage located in various places in California.

Any financial help you can offer will be most appreciated. Please
consider

sending a donation (tax deductible in the U.S.) to the Institute for
Intercultural

Studies, 67A E. 77 St., New York, NY 10021.

----------------

EVENTS

Several Bateson events have been added in the coming months and into
2005.

Additional events have been added to the cluster in Europe this autumn,
which

already includes events in Genoa, Italy and Barcelona, Spain.

Turin, Italy October 22-23, 2004
PATTERNS WHICH CONNECT: THE SYSTEMIC NATURE OF MAN
Associazione Episteme de Torino

Galleria d'Arte Moderna
Turin, Italy

Send enquiries to: episteme.to@libero.it

Milan, Italy November 3, 2004

Centro Milanese de Terapia della Famiglia

Milan, Italy

Lecture/seminar by Mary Catherine Bateson

Contact: centro.milanese@iol.it

Here are some further details on the November cluster of events in the

San Francisco Ba y area, including a video-linked East Coast conference.

Those attending events at the AAA and on the Berkeley campus should be

aware that the archive of Gregory Bateson's post WWII papers and
photography

is in the Special Collections Library of the Unviersity of California at
Santa Cruz.

San Francisco, CA November 18, 2004

AAA ANNUAL MEETING

Since we last communicated, further information on Bateson-related
events and

sessions at the AAA in San Francisco (Nov 17-21) has become available.

We are trying to find out if these sessions will be open to the public,
subject to a

day-pass fee, and will let you know via our website once we get that
information.

     Culture and Personality section
     "Once and future theory: Next steps towards Gregory Bateson's
ecology of mind"

     Thurs, Nov 18 10:15am-12:00pm, Room Yosemite C

     AAA Presidential Session

     "Gregory Bateson and the Science of Mind and Pattern"

     Thurs, Nov 18 4:00-5:45pm, Continental Ballroom 6

     Following this session, there will be a Reception and Film Program

     in the same room starting at 6pm.

Further details are available at http://www.aaanet.org
<http://www.aaanet.org/>

Berkeley, CA November 19-20, 2004

MULTIPLE VERSIONS OF THE WORLD

We have negotiated with Gordon Feller to provide special pricing for you
and a guest

to attend the Multiple Versions conference at UC Berkeley.

     Conference Registration Fee

     (includes lunch, complete documentation kit, and more)

     Sat, Nov 20 $160.00 w/10% discount $144.00

     Pre-Conference Reception

    (evening reception with wine-tasting, special exhibit of previously

      unseen Bateson photographic work)

     Fri, Nov 19 Meet speakers and sponsors $53.00

A registration form is included at the bottom of this note. To receive
this special price,

please print, fill out and mail to Gordon Feller at the address
indicated.

Visit http://www.batesonconference.org
<http://www.batesonconference.org/> for details on this event.

New York, NY November 20, 2004

ART, CIRCUITRY, AND ECOLOGY: HONORING GREGORY BATESON

CUNY Continuing Education and Public Programs

CUNY Graduate Center

New York, NY

As a part of the bi-coastal Bateson centennial celebration, this
conference

explores the interplay between Bateson's ideas about art and the
emerging

interest in "relational" and "ecological" aesthetics. Includes a live
telecast from

Berkeley CA of presentations by Gordon Feller, Mary Catherine Bateson,

Carol Wilder and Peter Harries-Jones at the Multiple Versions conference
to be

held on the same day. Co-sponsored by Media Studies, New School
University.

Details: CUNY Graduate Center
http://web.gc.cuny.edu/cepp/courses/media.html#1

Contact: James Andrews at continuinged@gc.cuny.edu

Bali, Indonesia December 15, 2004

JAKARTA INTERNATIONAL FILM FESTIVAL (JIFFest)

Special showing of Bateson's films from Bali and New Guinea in the
1930s.

Kaua'i, Hawai'i February 2-5, 2005

ASSOCIATION FOR SOCIAL ANTHROPOLOGY IN OCEANIA (ASAO)

ANNUAL MEETING

Kaua'i, Hawai'i

"The Gang of Four, or Bateson, Benedict, Fortune and Mead in Multiple
Contexts"

Organized by Gerald Sullivan (University of Notre Dame) and

Sharon Tiffany (University of Wisconsin, White Water)

Copenhagen, Denmark August 18-21, 2005

BATESON AND THE EPISTEMOLOGY OF THE SACRED:

THE SCIENCE-RELIGION PATTERN

Copenhagen, Denmark

An international conference in association with the University of
Copenhagen's

Research Priority Area, Religion in the 21st Century.

----------------

PUBLICATIONS/ON-LINE RESOURCES

Hampton Press continues its reissuing of Gregory Bateson works.

Steps to an Ecology of Mind was reprinted in 2002.

Angels Fear and Our Own Metaphor should be reissued later this year.

Sacred Unity, edited by Rodney Donaldson, has been delayed.

Common Ground, a Bay area magazine, will feature a profile of Gregory
Bateson

in its November 2004 issue. Information at
http://www.commongroundmag.com <http://www.commongroundmag.com/>

The Italian magazine Teseo will publish a special issue on Gregory
Bateson

in late 2004. The issue will be written and edited by Luciano
Paccagnella,

professor at the University of Turin.

An Italian group, Associazione culturale il Narratore,
http://www.ilnarratore.com <http://www.ilnarratore.com/> ,

has honored Gregory Bateson's memory in his centennial with three pieces
by or about him

read aloud on their website, including "Metaphors and Butterflies,"
recorded live in

1975 in Big Sur, California and an excerpt (in Italian) from David
Lipset's biography

of Bateson. This group also intends to publish an audio recorded summary
of the

Circolo Bateson conference in Rome in May 2004.

We have been doing our best to make information available about the
various events

because we are not in a position to stage one ourselves. Many are either
invitational

or narrowly disciplinary, but we feel it is important to include as many
as possible to

allow those of us who've worked with Bateson's ideas to have an
opportunity to pursue

the inter-connections between the many fields of knowledge. I believe
that revisiting these

ideas in the context of today's problems may bring new and corrective
insights.

Mary Catherine Bateson
mcb2004@attglobal.net
The Institute for Intercultural Studies
www.interculturalstudies.org

SPECIAL OFFER

Gregory Bateson @ 100
Multiple Versions of the World
A conference celebrating Bateson's centennial
and his continued influence

Saturday, November 20 9:00 AM - 5:00 PM
University of California Berkeley
Lawrence Hall of Science

A 10% conference discount is available to you
as a friend of the IIS, but you must register by mail.

Conference Registration Fee

   Sat, Nov 20 $160.00 w/10% discount $144.00

   includes lunch, complete documentation kit & more

Pre-Conference Reception

Full information available online at www.batesonconference.org
or by contacting Gordon Feller at 415-374-8222.
Multiple Versions Conference
870 Estancia
San Rafael, CA 94903

-------

Please enter my registration for the Multiple Versions conference:

Number of attendees: Conference _____ Reception_____

Name_______________________________________________

Affiliation ____________________________________________

Address_____________________________________________