Re: Challenge to Christie in school instruction

From: Phil Chappell (phil_chappell@access.inet.co.th)
Date: Thu Sep 09 2004 - 06:58:10 PDT

My understandings of Christie's work are similar to David's - but I'm
still not clear on the mutual relationships between regulative and
instructional registers. Christie's research points to an ideal
relationship whereby the regulative register defines goals for content,
as a feature of the instructional register (there's some kind of
dialectic operating here). Her work is primarily aimed at curriculum
goal-setting and goal-achievement.

I'm not sure if anyone here read the Bourne article that I posted a few
days back; if you did, you'll see the relationship between one
teacher's practice of moving amongst extant content knowledge and
proleptic schooled knowledge in the classroom.

Again, I wonder (ponder), what might be the problems that this vision
of education poses for "discovery", or "guided discovery" learning
proponents. As David asks below, "Doesn't it even go against the
criticism that Mike cites, viz, that there have to be different
classrooms genres at different levels?"

Too many questions, but questions that need to be addressed.

Peter's links to the valuable work of Gordon Wells provide more food
for thought. Peg Griffin's thoughts on the metaphor of "didacticism"
are, for me, extremely relevant to this topic.

[[And Stanley Wortham's article would be good ;-))

Phil Chappell